A medical drug and Alcohol test happens when a biological sample such as a blood or urine test undergoes analysis. Analyzing such a sample takes about 5 minutes and it detects drugs and alcohol in your system.
Metabolites are the outcome and products of metabolism. Metabolites can stay in urine for several days and they are the main particles drug tests look for. If drug tests detect the presence of drugs and alcohol or their metabolites, it shows that the substance was consumed. Consuming certain drugs is prohibited among workers. Furthermore, random Drug and Alcohol Tests determine the fitness of employees in the workplace.
When do companies conduct medical drug and alcohol test
Pre-Employment Drug Testing
Pre-Employment Testing ensures compliance among workers and offers drug testing solutions. It helps companies make the best and most informed employment decisions possible. It also allows companies to stay ahead of the evolving demand for workplace substance abuse.
Drug Testing Services to Protect Workforce
Employee drug tests, also known as substance abuse and monitoring services are essential for workplace safety. Companies with employees who are impaired by drugs or alcohol can be a danger to themselves and others. Therefore, medical and alcohol test is essential for the workplace.
Benefits of Pre-Employment Testing
- It reduces absenteeism
- It leads to lower accidents
- It increases productivity
- It increases security for the company
Types of medical drug and alcohol test
- Urinalysis – A urine test mostly happens during pre-employment testing. This type of test occurs when a conditional offer of employment has been sent. A urine test detects drug metabolites long after you take the drug. Drugs can stay in your urine for a long period of time, a urine test is the best way to detect them. Pre-employment urine drug tests usually screen for drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines, and more. A urinalysis is the only federally approved mandated testing method for employee drug testing.
- Hair Testing – According to research, drugs can stay in the hair for up to 90 days. Hair tests don’t detect current use, only past. It also doesn’t detect alcohol. Common drugs found in hair samples include methamphetamine, cocaine, marijuana, opioids, and PCP.
- Oral Fluids – Oral fluid testing is very accurate and it’s difficult for employees to cheat, dilute, or adulterate the test. This test is usually done on-site reducing costs and time. Most significantly, oral fluid tests detect recent usage, especially in the few hours after drug use. The detection window of oral fluid is about one to three days for most drugs. The employee provides an oral fluid sample through a mouth swab.
Breath Alcohol Testing (BAT)
Alcohol tests only show current levels of impairment or intoxication. It doesn’t detect past use. Breath alcohol tests are the best way to test for alcohol testing in the workplace. During this test, the person blows into a breathalyzer and the results are given as a number.
Return to Duty (RTD) Drug Testing
The Return-to-Duty (RTD) test usually occurs after an employee violates a company’s drug and alcohol policy. This test usually results in several actions depending on the type of job.
Medical drug and alcohol tests are vital for workplace safety. It ensures that the company works in compliance with federal law. Next time you apply for a job ensure your medical drug and alcohol test results are clean.